This is the first in a series of followups with various Startups that started their lives at Startup Weekend. This week we talked to founder Martin Voorzanger:
Which Startup Weekend event (City/Year) was your team created?
Tell us about your StartUp Weekend company/product. What’s the name…
…and what does it do?
Toogethr is a social ride-share app. It allows you to easily find offered and requested rides, or add new rides. Toogethr is both for daily usage (commuting) and occasional rides (events, conferences, holidays). Benefits for users include making their rides social, more sustainable and at a lower cost.
How has your company/product changed since Startup Weekend?
Both the company and the product have significantly.
* None of the team members during swAMS joined the company eventually (except for me, pitching the original idea). New founders/team members have come onboard
* Product. The product developed during swAMS was a demo product. Software development started shortly afterwards and MVP took about 4 months.
What milestones or successes have you had since the weekend?
* Launched product beginning of January 2012 in the Netherlands
* Major media coverage (TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, blogs)
* Over 5,000 users in the first 3 months
* Over 13,000 rides posted
What has been the biggest challenge since Startup Weekend?
* Funding, especially for pre-revenue startups that requires significant amounts of users
* Customer Development
What does the future have in store for you and your company?
* Continue with near-weekly product releases with new features and improvements
* International scaling
What was the best part about Startup Weekend for you and your company?
* Energy of working on something with a group of people you never met before
If you could rewind and do your Startup Weekend over again, is there anything you would do differently?
* Smaller team – everybody needs to contribute evenly
* More focus on the final presentation, less on developing a working demo
Give one piece of advice for people (thinking of) attending their first Startup Weekend?
* Make sure you know what you can contribute (presentation skills, team skills, design skills, development skills, team support skills)
Are you hiring?
Yes! See http://www.toogethr.com/nl/about/jobs